Wednesday, January 1, 2014

New Years Resolutions Are Crap

I'm not setting NewYears resolutions this year.  They are ridiculous. MULTIPLE FUN FACT TIME:

  • Only 45% of Americans make a New Years resolution. (For understanding sakes, lets say that is 45/100.)
  • Out of those 45 people, 64% or 29 people make it to the 1 month mark.  
  • Only 46% or 20 people make it to the 6 month mark. 
  • Barley half of the less than half of Americans that make resolutions make it to June.  (Was that clear as mud? Good!)
  • Want to know the top 10 New Years resolutions? I bet you can guess #1:
    1. Lose weight (Who would have guessed!)
    2. Getting organized.
    3. Spend less, save more.
    4. Enjoy life to the fullest.
    5. Staying fit and healthy.
    6. Learn something exciting. (Hang gliding? Parkour?)
    7. Quit smoking. (That's all the way at #7?! Really!?)
    8. Help others in their dreams. (What does that mean?! My dream is to finish school, get married, and build a house! Is someone donating money or guys to me….that got weird fast. Please don't donate guys to me.)
    9. Fall in love. (Can that really be a resolution? You can't make that happen. It just does.)
    10. Spend more time with family. (Way to go America. Family is the last thing we are worried about. Seems a little backwards to me.)
  • 24% of Americans fail and never succeed on their New Years resolutions.

With all of that being said, I'm not making New Years resolutions, I'm making lifestyle changes.  I don't want it to be a "New Years resolution", I want it to be a "rest of my life resolution". With that, here's 1 more fun fact: 
  • People who explicitly make resolutions are 10 times more likely to attain their goals than people who don’t explicitly make resolutions

So, here are my EXPLICIT "rest of my life resolutions":
  1. Lose weight! (*gasp* Who knew!!! It has to happen. Not optional. And here's how explicitly)
    1. Drink more water. A lot more.
    2. Work out minimum 3 times a week. 
    3. Less junk, more veggies. (I strongly dislike veggies so heres to learning new things!)
    4. Less carbs.  (My family is like carb addicts. We love the breads, pastas, rice, etc.)
  2. Blog better. (Or learn how. I'm getting there. Slowly but surely)
  3. Stay on track with my Dave Ramsey stuff. (And in walks #3! …I meant up there^^^ but here too's good.)
  4. Read at least 50 pages a day. (I've already started trying.)
So those are my main 4 life changes.  I want these to be things that stick with me my whole life.  I don't want it to be just a New Years thing. I want these goals to be long term or until achieved. 

All statistical information courtesy of Statistic Brain University of Scranton 12.13.2013